Tabs! :D

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Binge Reading and Bulimia

I have a question for you. Do you binge read? I know I tend to. I will go for awhile without reading anything and then suddenly Ican'tstopreadingtosavemylifeandImustkeepreadingandth
erearetoomanybooksandwordswordsstinkingwords

I also do this with writing. You know, where you haven't written since November and suddenly you lock yourself in your room and start screaming about your characters?

Okay. Ahem. Maybe screaming isn't a normal part of the writing experience, but moving on.

It got me to thinking about bulimia. And no, I'm not going to make fun of bulimic people. I know it's a serious thing and I'm not trying to take away from that. However...

I have always thought about my writing experience as this:

1) Read a Thousand Books.

b) Spend two days-two weeks in shock.

3) Write a Book.

Or in pictures:

See the clown read...

Eat Clown, Eat!

Watch the Clown Vomit.
Clown just wrote a book!
Good job, Clown.

Basically, that is what I look like when I write my first drafts.

How 'bout you? *sits at computer and waits* *grabs chips* *waits*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I'm binge reading right now on the Harry Potter series. (Seriously, I can stop whenever I want. I don't have a problem. Stop looking at me like that. I DON'T!)

I think by reading a lot, a lot, a lot, it gets me geared up to write a lot, a lot, a lot. Which is probably why it's so disappointing when I fail. A lot. A lot. A lot.

I love your cartoons! Too fun. I'm proud of Clown, too.

wolfie 402 said...

HAHAHA!
That clown reminds me of me... except without the nose ;)
Haha. It's funny how alike all writers are.
I'll go a wile without reading or writing or both and then all of a sudden...
youjustcan'tstopbecauseyourlifedependsonthewordsthestupidwordsthebookissogoodyoucan'tstop
and then you resurface all inspired to write a book just as amazing as the one (or hundred) that you read.

vic caswell said...

yup. something similar goes on here too... interesting. :)

Hannah said...

hahaha! For sure. I love your clown but hate clowns in general. Next time, call it a mime. I binge everything to do with books, writing, tv, movies...its no wonder I'm nuts!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Ha! Those pictures are awesome! And yeah, i go on reading binges as wel

Rebecca T. said...

bwa hahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

"Watch the Clown Vomit"

Wrong in so many hysterical ways.

Unknown said...

@E. Elle: Ooh! Harry Potter! That is completely acceptable *nods* It is sad when I read tons and then write two words. It's not the way it's supposed to work *shakes head*

@Wolfie 402: Yes yes! Exactly :D

@aspiring_x: I find it so fascinating that writers are so different, yet have such strange commonalities. So interesting.

@Hannah: I actually have no idea why I drew a clown. I hate clowns. I think an evil clown made me do it just to torment me. I will now imagine it as a mime, because those aren't as terrifying.

@Sarah: Thanks! And I'm glad I'm not the only one. High five!

@Rebecca: *nods* Yup.