Tabs! :D

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

L is for Languages

The other day my friend and I were talking about the languages we're creating. (She can already talk and think in hers. How cool is that?? Pretty cool. Pretty much a 5 on the E.o.m.) As we were discussing the problem of grammar, letters, and other stuff my friend made the comment that she cannot understand how I have more than one language that I've created.

I will explain it to you. I am insane.

Insane like a pirate bunny!

So maybe I don't have a slip of paper to prove it, and so what if I've never been psycho-analyzed; I'm still crazy. But if I'm not harmful to anyone (including myself) why should it matter? At least, I'm convinced I'm crazy because in a couple of hours I can structure the basic sentence structure and grammar of a language, then I can spew you out a good hundred vocab words. No, I'm not bragging. Bragging is obnoxious and stupid. I'm explaining how this proves that I'm crazy.

Crazy like a purple bunny.
A purple Alien Bunny! Eep!

It's like a disease. I try not to create new languages, I really do. And then a character will randomly say: "Wycujet anu kevredit?" And I stare at the character in shock, because now I have to figure out if 'Wycujet' is a noun, and whether or not kevredit can feasibly be a verb.

Sometimes, it makes me angry. You see, I'm working on this book with my friend 'Lucretia' (I don't know if I'm allowed to use her real name, so...) and it's set in its own world. She is writing from the perspective of Saoirse, and I am writing from Jadena's perspective. We've gotten into some interesting backstory, but I was convinced there would be no languages, because there was no way I was going to get into Yangorian (still haven't). Right. Until Jedrek and Alcandor started yammering away in the Ancient Dialect of Kruje. Good job. I hate you.

This has happened before. In my story, Pixie Princess, I have the main girl, Izka, living with Dwarves. I naively believed she could live with non-English-speaking creatures and not have to deal with creating a language. Doy. I'm an idiot.

Then there's the stupid world of Earac with Lohs, and the Gragan tongue, and I can't even tell you the rest of them.

Then there's the world of Gorsonian with Labiou, which is related to Traluh which is...

Whoops. Stopping. Sorry. Have I bored your socks off yet?

I still can't find a good sock attack picture.
I think I need to make my own.
Ooh... That gives me ideas. Mwahahaha >:)

It's interesting, because I am not bilingual. The closest I ever came to learning another language was when my mum tried to teach my brother and I Spanish, but she gave up when all we could do was make fun of the word for snake. or maybe it was for dove? I don't remember because I didn't learn much. The best part was the Muzzy movies.

I love Muzzy!!


Basically, this is a post for two reasons: 1) I'm doing the A-Z challenge and running out of ideas because my brain is slowly being drained by a Monstrosity name Skool. 2) I'm curious if anyone else has dabbled with creating their own languages. 3) That's all I can think of right now, because I'm translating a section of Akkadian, studying for my Greek vocab quiz, and writing down vocab for the Ancient Dialect of Kruje (ADK).

I apologize if I've bored you, and I'll probably read back through this later and think "wow, I need a life." But what's the point of having a life of interest and intrigue that leaves one tired and bored? I'd rather have a life of boredom that leaves me interested and intrigued.

9 comments:

Laura S. said...

QUOTE: "...what's the point of having a life of interest and intrigue that leaves one tired and bored? I'd rather have a life of boredom that leaves me interested and intrigued."

HEAR, HEAR!! WELL SAID!!!! You're not crazy, but that picture of the purple alien bunny might give me nightmares tonight. Yeesh!

Sarah Ahiers said...

nope, never created a lnaguage. i can speak a bit of french though (not that that even counts)

Jayne said...

I love the pictures you have used to illustrate your post! Especially the toxic socks (yikes!)

I have never made up a language, although I have made up fantasy names for characters and cities.

And completely agree - interested and intrigued is definitely the way forward in life!

Kelly@ JustWrite said...

New follower here!

I don't think you're crazy, but you sure made me laugh! Ok, so maybe a little crazy? :)

Grammy said...

Hi, I'm reading this post at 11 p.m. and it is at the end of my "following" blogs. It actually almost makes sense to me, but not quite. I have never tried to make up a language, because I have enough trouble interpreting people's misuse of the English language. ha. it is a fascinating posting, though. Thanks for your inventive writing.
Best regards to you,
Ruby

Survivormama said...

No I never created a new language but I used to speak pig latin all the time...cute post..thanks for sharing!

Rebecca T. said...

Lucretia is an ugly name!

And that is all I have to say tonight.

Talli Roland said...

Interesting!

I love languages - I took Spanish and French in uni and tried to teach myself Croatian at one point, but I've never tried to make up one!

Blam said...


You see, I'm working on this book with my friend 'Lucretia'

Aaaaahahahahahahaha!!!

I totally believe that that was either the first name that came to mind for you or actually appropriate somehow, and either way I love it.

VW: apocrod — Farthest point away from the crod. (Antonym: pericrod.)